Bobby's World

Bobby's World

Monday, October 31, 2011

The Dentist, Halloween and Thanksgiving Decor

What a way to start a Monday morning...Bobby had a dentist appointment at 7:45am so that he would have the first appt of the day and could still make it to school on time.  Taking Bobby to the dentist is one of those things that I would rather never do again and dread with a passion.  When we got into the exam room (which does not have a regular dentist chair and no little sink, it instead has a chaise like chair for special needs) we had to wait a few minutes for the dentist.  The hygentist got out a little mirror and toothbrush and set them out to get ready for the exam.  Bobby ran over and picked up the little mirror and stuck it into his mouth.  The hygentist said it was no big deal, so I decided to practice with Bobby before the dentist arrived.

I had Bobby sit down on the chair and put his feet in front and I put the mirror into his mouth.  He took a little break and I looked again, break, look...By the time the dentist came in, we were still practicing, so she took over and Bobby sat on the chair independently while she looked in his mouth.  He again took some breaks with her, but came back to the chair with verbal prompts.  It wasn't perfect by any means, but it was much, much better than every previous time when I sat on the chair and he sat on my lap while I wrapped my arms and legs around him. 

The dentist just checks his teeth, doesn't clean them.  When it does come time to have them cleaned, we will have to sedate him.  Amazingly enough Bobby doesn't have any buildup, decay, or cavities.  Which is crazy to me because he doesn't let me brush them well at all!!

We managed to get Bobby to school on time after the dentist appointment.  Poor kid didn't even get to miss a few minutes of school.

When Bobby got home from school, he plopped his backpack up onto the kitchen island, unzipped it and pulled out a surprise...
In the 4 and a half years that he has been carrying a backpack to school, he has never acknowledged it when he arrives home.  He puts it on his cubbie and doesn't touch again until the next morning when I tell him to get his backpack as we are leaving for school.  I am not sure what attracted him to this artwork.  Did he actually do some of the work on it, is he excited that it is a placemat and he has a new love of placemats, does he like the colors???  But then it came to me...
He could not wait to tear it apart!!!

We decided not to take Bobby trick or treating tonight.  After all, it was more about Bob and me than Bobby.  He does not eat candy and we really do not need any more junk in this house.  He didn't want to put on his costume.  So we did the next best thing...Mommy made his favorite dinner, homemade french fries and his new favorite, popcorn shrimp. 

Bobby went upstairs to play in his room and was playing so nicely, didn't even know he was there.  When the kitchen was cleaned up, I went to check on him and this is what I found...
He dumped out all of the clothes that I had neatly organized in a wire drawer organizer.  Someone has given us hand me down clothes and I had each drawer organized by long sleeve, short sleeve, shorts, pants, etc.  But Bobby had other plans for the wire drawers...
Why didn't I think to decorate his room with an upside down rocking chair and a row of lined up wire baskets?? 

To quote Bobby (who is quoting Jack from Jack's Big Music Show), "Whaaaattttt A Day!!!"  It's time to go put on my PJs and go lay down!!! 

1 comment: